Enjoy the traditional beauty of a real French door. French doors are typically used wherever you want to clearly define interior and exterior spaces while still providing a grand view. When deciding to use an in-swing French patio door, it is important to ensure there is enough room for the doors to swing in without hitting walls or furniture.
An in-swing French door is a great way to:
- Open up a room to the outdoors
- Bring in more natural light
- Add an entry that looks beautiful from both the inside and the outside of your home
- Maintain usable space on the outside of the door
A French door has wider stiles and rails than a traditional sliding door. This makes it an especially appropriate choice for traditional architectural styles and wherever a more classic patio door is desired.
Look for Quality
Choosing a French door is different from choosing an interior French door because the patio door will be exposed to the elements. When buying a French door, consider the following:
- Frame Materials — Consider durability and maintenance. Some of the best materials from a durability and low-maintenance point of view include vinyl and fiberglass. If your door will not be protected from the elements, such as with an awning, you should consider a more durable frame material.
- Operation — Check to make sure the door seals tight and the locks engage.
- Security — Examine the locking system. Hardware selections vary, and the best doors will feature quality hardware. Locks should meet or exceed local forced–entry code.
- Hinges — Look for heavy-duty hinges that are preferably adjustable to allow for vertical and horizontal panel adjustments.
- Energy Efficiency — Make sure the French door you buy is well insulated and comes with the appropriate energy-saving glass to reduce your heating and cooling costs.
Grids or no Grids
For a multiple-pane look, a French door can often be ordered with a variety of grid options between the panes of glass. Interior and exterior snap-in grids also are available and can create an even more authentic look of a door composed of individual lites.
Every window and door purchase is different. Get pricing information and estimates on your project.Request a Quote >