The definition of a green or sustainable home has broadened and deepened over the decades. Experience, knowledge, and innovations developed by architects, contractors, and manufacturers have produced a set of criteria which signals that a house is thoughtfully designed and built. During a renovation, features and assets that were not considered when the home was first built can now be included. Those sustainable criteria to consider specifying in a renovation include durability, energy efficiency, comfort, and health. We’ll start out discussing each of them as they apply to windows and patio doors, and clarify the details that make a window efficient.
After completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Review factors that make a home green and the components of energy efficient windows.
- Identify the cost vs. value statistics for replacement windows.
- Identify the environmental factors of aluminum windows.
- Define options in window replacements for a greener home.
- Define choices in patio door replacements for a greener home.
- Discuss standards and green building certifications for renovations
CEU is worth 1 LU/HSW AIA Credit.